Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Man Quilt

My husband had been mentioning for years a while that he would like his own quilt, you know, one that's not all "girly." Earlier this summer I started scouring fabric sites (since I usually don't do that) looking for fabric for him. I ended up going with a black/gray/white theme and ordered fabrics that either I thought he would like, or that reminded me of him in some way.

I intended to make it for his Christmas gift, but I just got it cut out this weekend! Better late than never, right? I'm shooting for his birthday now. Surely I'll have it done by May. I saw this quilt and liked the simple patchwork pattern. I stole one of my mom's Turning Twenty books just in case, too. I didn't want the blocks as large as those, so I just made up my own measurements for them. The finished blocks will be 11" square. Here's a sneak peak of some of the fabrics.

All my pieces cut out.

And here's a finished block.


So far it's coming together quickly! I have the 8" squares sewn to the smaller rectangles! I'm hoping that I can get it together and quilted while I am using my mom's borrowed machine. She has a walking foot and I don't :)

No comments:

Post a Comment